DATT Freedom School’s purpose is to provide political education to those who want to learn online with a variety of platforms. DATT Freedom School is a dynamic online work study group that includes the basis of a book club, hosted tweet chats every other week, video lessons, & master posts.
Provide people with the basics of critical thinking skills & begin their political education process.
What are we teaching?
The DATT Freedom School will teach the political foundations of Black feminism & Pan Africanism (scientific socialism). These will be based on the intellectual legacies of Patricia Hill-Collins, Audre Lorde, Kwame Ture, Kwame Nkrumah, Frantz Fanon, Ida B. Wells, etc..
Key Concepts (AKA what questions will they be able to answer by the end of this program?):
- What is Black feminism/Womanism? Provide examples.
- What is intersectionality?
- What is scientific socialism? Provide examples.
- What is Pan Africanism? Provide examples.
- What is capitalism? Colonialism/Imperialism?
- What is white supremacy? What is anti-Blackness? What is Indigenous erasure?
- What is cisheteropatriarchy? What is homophobia? What is transphobia?
- What is hegemony? What is domination? What is oppression?
The goal is for the program participants to be able to engage in full interactive critical discussions on these topics on their own. We want to give them a head start on their political education process/journey.
Calendar & Topics:
Week 1: Capitalism – Week of June 28th
Week 2: Scientific Socialism – Week of July 5th
Week 3: Race & White Supremacist Racism – Week of July 12th
Week 4: Cishetpatriarchy, Gender, & Sexuality – Week of July 19th
Week 5: Black Feminism – Week of July 26th
Week 6: Anti-Colonial Struggle – Week of August 2nd
Week 7: Pan Africanism (Scientific Socialism) – Week of August 9th
Liberation Circles (tweet chats) will be on Saturdays (time is TBD) – except for the 1st week
Liberation Circle (Tweet Chat) Calendar:
*EXACT TIMES ARE TBD*
Week 1: Friday, July 3rd, 2015
Week 2: Saturday, July 11th, 2015
Week 3: Saturday, July 18th, 2015
Week 4: Saturday, July 25th, 2015
Week 5: Saturday, August 1st, 2015
Week 6: Saturday, August 8th, 2015
Week 7: Saturday, August 15th, 2015
THE SYLLABUS WILL BE ANNOUNCED WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK. SO PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS WHO HAVE SIGNED UP NEED TO CHECK THEIR EMAILS.
The introductory posts that will go along with the assigned readings include:
(1) Critical Thinking & Employing Education to Develop A Critical Consciousness: http://wp.me/p4oYXR-63
(2) Black Feminism: A Short Intro: http://wp.me/p4oYXR-w
(2) Patriarchy & Gender: http://wp.me/P4oYXR-55
(3) Race, Ethnicity, & Racism: http://wp.me/P4oYXR-5o
(4) Books You Can Read & 3 Documentaries You Can Watch Instead of Exposing Yourself to the Hegemonic Lies in the Hidden Colors Films: http://wp.me/p4oYXR-3O
FOR INFORMATION & FURTHER INQUIRES: firstname.lastname@example.org
TO SIGN UP FOR THE D.A.T.T. FREEDOM SCHOOL SUMMER SESSION FILL OUT THIS FORM: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1g80ge74hcN0BmybVCpXrJ6oLhLR9lSTJkjMQsXEqf4o/viewform